10 questions you asked in 2021


Every day people ask questions about green slips or the calculator. We’ve compiled a top ten, based on questions you asked us during 2021. Remember, you can contact us anytime with a greenslips question.

Why are the insurer and calculator prices different? ›

How do I pay for my greenslip? ›

How do I cancel my greenslip and get a refund?›

What happens if I move interstate or buy an interstate car?›

Do pensioners have to pay for a greenslip? ›

I’ve had an accident, what do I do?›

How do I find out the greenslip insurer of a vehicle?›

Why is my vehicle not on your list?›

What is my vehicle model variant?›

What happens if I have a learner driver?›

Why are the insurer and calculator prices different?

Occasionally, the price quoted by the insurer is different to the one given in the calculator. This should never happen and we will explain why.

Prices are highly regulated – Prices used by the calculator are the same as those submitted by the six licensed insurers to the CTP regulator. They are not allowed to charge any other price. So it doesn’t matter where you get quotes, they should always be the same.

Prices must be based on accurate information – Prices are based on whatever information you give the calculator. If the information is even slightly wrong, the prices will be wrong. Prices directly from an insurer are also based on information you give them, or have given in the past.

You must use the same information for the calculator and the insurer to get the same price. When there’s a discrepancy between the calculator price and the insurer price, there’s always a reason. Here are a few common ones:

  • Insurers may classify your SUV as a light goods vehicle. If you do a calculation with vehicle type as motor car, the price will be around $200-$300 too low. This is the most common mistake. Check your rego papers for the code.
  • QBE quotes rely on correctly stating any demerit points.
  • NRMA quotes rely on correctly stating the number of years of continuous relationship.

Make sure you answer every question in the calculator carefully. Also see, Why there should be no price difference.

How do I pay for my greenslip?

First of all, does not take payments for green slips. is an independent comparison site, not a seller of greenslips.

To pay for your greenslip, you simply have to contact your chosen insurer. All insurer contact details are on your Results page.

When you contact the insurer, you won’t need your reference number. It’s there to help you quickly load your details next time you use our site. The insurer will issue you with your new policy reference number.

Once you have paid the insurer for a greenslips, it will immediately notify Service NSW of your payment so you can start or renew your registration.

How do I cancel my greenslip and get a refund?

You can cancel your greenslip and get a refund if you first cancel registration on your vehicle. Service NSW will issue a cancellation letter as proof for your insurer, who will then give you a pro rata refund on the remaining period of your greenslip. Your insurer may also refund some of the Fund Levy. However, you do have to pay an administration fee.

If you’ve moved interstate or your vehicle is written off, you can cancel registration. However, if you’ve sold your vehicle, you can’t cancel registration. The green slip remains on the vehicle you sold and the price you sold it for included registration and a greenslip.

You can’t get a refund of your greenslip if you change your mind about your choice of insurer during the registration period.

What happens if I move interstate or buy an interstate car?

If you move interstate, you need to cancel your vehicle’s NSW registration. Once you have cancelled registration, you can cancel your greenslip and get a refund [link above] from your insurer. Each state and territory has different requirements for how soon after relocating you’re obliged to transfer vehicle registration from interstate. .

If you buy an interstate car, you must transfer registration to NSW. There are 3 steps:

  1. Get a safety and identity check of your vehicle (blue slip) from an authorised inspection station
  2. Buy CTP insurance (green slip) – compare prices
  3. Go in person to a motor registry or Service NSW with documents proving your identity, residential address in NSW and entitlement to register the vehicle.

Service NSW receives electronic copies of your blue and green slips, once they are paid for, ready for you to register your vehicle. The first registration has to be be for 12 months. After that, you can renew registration of your vehicle for 6 months.

Make sure the previous owner cancels registration in its previous state or territory. This will also cancel that state or territory’s CTP insurance on your vehicle.

Do pensioners have to pay for a greenslip?

This is a common question and frequently misunderstood. Pensioners do have to pay for a greenslip.

Insurers use many factors to determine green slip prices but pensioner eligibility is not one of them. You can find out more about how greenslip prices are set.

If you are an eligible pensioner, with no restrictions on your licence or vehicle, you are entitled to free registration. Service NSW will automatically renew your registration:

  • Service NSW checks your pensioner status and whether you have supplied a pink slip, if requested
  • DVA pensioners don’t have to pay NSW stamp duty and transfer fees
  • Pension concessions apply for one vehicle per eligible pensioner.

While there are no concessions for pensioners, you can still get a cheaper green slip for a good driving history and a reasonably safe vehicle.

I’ve had a car accident, what do I do?

If you’re injured in a road accident you can make a claim under the NSW CTP scheme. This also applies to passengers, motorcycle riders and passengers, cyclists and pedestrians injured or killed in an accident involving your vehicle.

Here are the first steps to take:

  1. Call the Police Assistance Line 131 444 within 28 days of the accident. Police will provide an event number for the insurer’s records.
  2. As soon as possible, visit a GP for medical treatment and request a certificate of fitness for work. Insurers can approve early treatment even if you don’t later put in a full claim.
  3. Try to find out the registration plate number of the at-fault vehicle before making a claim. Notify the the insurer of the at-fault vehicle or use SIRA’s Online Claim Notification to start the process.
  4. Make a claim within 28 days of the accident to receive weekly income payments from the accident date.

The government body that oversees injury claims is SIRA and its site is a good starting place:

The best way to begin your claim is to call its CTP Assist line on: 1300 656 919.

How do I find out the greenslip insurer of a vehicle?

There are a few reasons why you might want to identify the greenslip insurer:

  • To ask a question, update your details or request a renewal
  • If you want to make a claim from the insurer of a car involved with you in a road accident
  • When you want to buy a used car – a good check of the insurer and whether you are paying the right price for it.

Service NSW provides a simple service called Registration Check.

All you need is the plate number of the vehicle to find out the greenslip insurer and:

  • Expiry date of greenslip and registration
  • Status (current, suspended or cancelled registration)
  • Restrictions on rego (renewal or transfer)
  • Any concessions.

Why is my vehicle not on your list?

Occasionally someone can’t find their vehicle make and model in the calculator. This shouldn’t happen because all vehicles registered in NSW are listed.

There are two possible reasons why your vehicle appears not to be listed:

  • You haven’t selected the correct Vehicle Type – motor car or ute/light goods vehicle.
  • You haven’t put in the correct Year of Manufacture.

Choosing the right Vehicle Type does create some confusion. For example, some SUVs and 4WDs are classified as motor cars and some are classified as light goods vehicles. It helps to locate the shape code on your registration papers.

Year of Manufacture can be found on your registration renewal notice or by using the Service NSW Registration Check.

What is my vehicle model variant?

If you don’t know your vehicle model variant, you’re not alone. In some cases, it can be quite long and complicated to remember. Here’s an example of a complex model variant:


You can check your vehicle model variant details on your greenslip renewal notice or at the bottom of your registration renewal notice.

While it may seem easier to skip this question in the calculator, prices won’t be accurate without the correct model variant. To ensure you get the cheapest, accurate green slip prices, always select the correct vehicle model variant if possible.

What happens if I have a learner driver?

Some vehicle owners worry about how a learner driver will affect the price of their greenslip. Often, the learner driver is young and, because young drivers tend to take more risks, they pay higher premiums.

This isn’t the case for learner drivers. They’re considered safer than P platers, because they’re supervised by an experienced driver. This is why the calculator asks if any drivers hold a provisional licence (excluding learner and motorcycle licences) and how long the least experienced driver has held a licence (not including learners).

However, if the learner driver is the youngest driver, you must state the youngest driver’s age and gender.

Do you have any questions about greenslips or the calculator?

Find the answers to 10 more common questions about green slips from 2020.

Contact us.

Corrina Baird

Writer and expert

Corrina used to lend her car to her kids and discovered first hand what Ls, Ps and demerits mean for greenslips. After 20 years of writing and research in financial services, she’s an expert in the NSW CTP scheme. Read more about Corrina

your opinion matters: