go to top

Vehicle Shape Codes

Every type of vehicle has a shape code

Every type of vehicle registered in NSW has a vehicle shape code. Vehicle shape is important for charging the correct registration fees and green slip premiums.

There are three general types of vehicle shape: motor car, light goods vehicle and motorcycle.

Motor car

Motor cars include passenger vehicles, sedans, station wagons and some 4WDs.

This does not include light goods vehicles, utes or table tops.

Registration shape codes:

CON – convertible (any vehicle without a roof)
COU – coupe (2 doors, 2 seats and a roof)
FCV – forward control vehicle (like a wagon)
HRS – hearse
PVF – panel van 4 wheel drive (must have 4WD)
SBS – small bus (9 seats exactly including the driver)
SED – sedan (includes hatchbacks)
SNO – snow vehicle
TWC – 3 wheel cars and cycles
WAG – station wagon (must have sedan equivalent).

Utes/light goods vehicle

Utes/light goods vehicles include utes, table tops, panel vans and light goods vehicles less than 4.5 tonnes GVM.

Registration shape codes:

PVN – panel van
PVS – panel van seats and windows (no 4WD)
PVW – panel van and windows (has side window)TT – table top (separate body and no fittings)
TTF – table top and fittings (cab chassis with tray fitted)
UTE – utility (one piece utility body or detachable well back body)
VAN – van (separate box body not connected to cabin).


Motorcycles include all motorcycles, including those with sidecars.

CYC – all motorcycles.

Check your code

When using the greenslips.com.au Calculator, you need to know whether your vehicle is classified as a Motor car or Ute/Light goods vehicle.

Refer to the vehicle shape code in the lower half of your Registration Renewal Notice.

If you would like to check whether the code used is correct, you can use the RTA Road Vehicle Descriptor Online. It is divided into two sections: vehicles manufactured before 1999 and vehicles manufactured after 1999.

Search for your vehicle.


Registration - more info

Classic and historic registration >

Special registration for classic and historic vehicles read more

eGreenslips >

Insurers notify Service NSW online about your green slip. read more

Transport for NSW >

The government authority for Service NSW functions read more

Registration reminder sticker >

A simple reminder when your NSW registration is due. read more

Rego and safety checks >

How rego works with your green slip and safety checks. read more

Transferring registration to NSW >

Three steps to transfer interstate registration to NSW. read more

Green slip and rego look-up >

Free service to find your CTP insurer or when rego is due. read more

Renew a full drivers or riders NSW licence >

Steps to help you renew your drivers or riders licence. read more

Unregistered vehicles >

What happens if you forget to register your vehicle. read more

Conditional registration >

For vehicle types registered under strict conditions only read more