Who and What is Covered?
Your greenslip does:
- Provide for compensation for people killed or injured in a motor vehicle accident. This includes pedestrians, passengers, cyclists, motorcyclists, drivers of other vehicles and, to a lesser extent, the driver at fault.
- Include trailers under the greenslip of the towing vehicle.
Your greenslip does not:
- Cover the driver at fault to the full extent of the scheme, except for fixed benefits for all injuries up to 6 months, or unless the driver is catastrophically injured (as defined by the Lifetime Care and Support Scheme and in which case that scheme applies).
- Cover damage to your vehicle or property.
- Cover damage to other peoples' vehicles or property.
- Cover you for theft of your vehicle.
Your greenslip operates all over Australia, no matter where the accident involving your vehicle occurred.
A full explanation of the operation of the CTP green slip scheme in NSW is available on this site.
Two of the six greenslip insurers offer at fault driver cover as an additional feature, included in the price of the greenslip. At fault driver cover provides specified lump sum benefits for injuries which an at fault driver may sustain. This is a worthwhile feature which you should consider at the time of your greenslip purchase. More information on at fault driver cover is available.
The people entitled to compensation, the basis on which compensation is payable and the limits to the amount of compensation depend on the date of the accident. Before 1 December 2017, Motor Accidents Compensation Act 1999 and Motor Accidents (Lifetime Care and Support) Act 2006 apply. From 1 December 2017, Motor Accident Injuries Act 2017 and Motor Accidents (Lifetime Care and Support) Act 2006 apply. You should seek advice on your position in terms of those Acts, rather than rely on the overview set out in this site.