What your greenslip does and does not cover
Your greenslip does:
- Provide for compensation for people killed or injured in a motor vehicle accident
- Include pedestrians, passengers, cyclists, motorcyclists, drivers of other vehicles and, to a lesser extent, the driver at fault
- Include trailers under the greenslip of the towing vehicle.
Your greenslip does not cover:
- The driver at fault to the full extent of the scheme, except for fixed benefits for all injuries up to 12 months, or unless the driver is catastrophically injured*
- Damage to your vehicle or property
- Damage to other peoples’ vehicles or property
- Theft of your vehicle.
* As defined by the Lifetime Care and Support Scheme, then that scheme applies.
Your greenslip operates all over Australia, no matter where the accident involving your vehicle occurred.
Find a full explanation of the CTP green slip scheme in NSW.
At-Fault Driver Cover
Only one of the six greenslip insurers, NRMA Insurance, now offers At-Fault Driver Cover as an additional feature. It is called Driver Protection Cover and is included in the price of an NRMA Insurance greenslip.
- At-Fault Driver Cover provides specified lump sum benefits for injuries sustained by an at-fault driver.
- Consider this feature when you buy your greenslip.
- Find more information on At-Fault Driver Cover.
Compensation depends on accident date
The people entitled to compensation, the basis on which compensation is payable and limits to the amount of compensation depend on the date of the accident:
- Since 1 December 2017, Motor Accident Injuries Act 2017 and Motor Accidents (Lifetime Care and Support) Act 2006 apply.
- Before 1 December 2017, Motor Accidents Compensation Act 1999 and Motor Accidents (Lifetime Care and Support) Act 2006 apply.
Always seek advice on your position in terms of those Acts, rather than rely on the overview on this site.