go to top

Transferring Registration to NSW

Three steps to transfer registration to NSW

You can transfer registration of your vehicle from another state to NSW in three steps:

  1. Organise a blue slip inspection.
  2. Buy a green slip.
  3. Go to Service NSW or motor registry in NSW with personal identity documents and fees required.

Step 1: Blue slip

Organise an inspection of your vehicle at an Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Station in NSW.The inspection will include roadworthiness, compliance and identification.

The inspection report is generally called a blue slip.

Most blue slips are sent online to Service NSW. However, you may still require a hard copy of your blue slip when you attend Service NSW or a motor registry.

Step 2: Green slip

Buy a green slip. Unlike other states in Australia, you must buy Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance (green slip) as a separate step before registration. Six insurers issue greenslips in NSW. Prices vary based on your vehicle and other factors.

Learn more about what a greenslip is, what it covers and how to buy one.

You can compare prices with our greenslips.com.au Calculator. It is wise to compare prices for all insurers before you buy your greenslip. Once you have compared prices, contact the insurer of your choice to buy your greenslip.

For the first registration, you do not usually require a hard copy of the green slip as the insurer sends it online to Service NSW. For light vehicles (vehicles under 4.5 tonnes GVM) the first green slip and registration must be for 12 months.

Step 3: Go to Service NSW or motor registry

You or an authorised representative must attend Service NSW or a motor registry in NSW, in person.

When you attend the motor registry, you or your representative need:

1.  Proof of identity

  • The proof of identity is for the person attending the motor registry.
  • Proof of identity can be a NSW-issued driver photo licence or a NSW Photo Card or other documents listed on Transport for NSW.
  • For an organisation, proof of identity includes evidence of an ACN and authorisation by a Director or an authorised person. Authorisation can be on company letterhead or the application for registration form.

2.  Proof of entitlement to register the vehicle

  •  Proof of entitlement can be a certificate of registration, a sales contract from a motor dealer, a receipt, a statutory declaration or any of the other documents listed on Transport for NSW.
  • A person other than the owner may be entitled to register the vehicle if written authorisation is provided.

3.  Proof of your residential address in NSW

  • Proof of identity documents can be used as proof of your residential address.
  • If your proof of identity documents do not show your current NSW residential address, you need to provide documents which do. They include a current certificate of registration issued by Service NSW, a licence or registration renewal for the coming period issued by Service NSW showing the residential address, or a contract for sale, lease or rental receipt which is less than 2 years old for the address.

4.  Green slip

5.  Blue slip

6.  Old number plates

  • If available, or receipt to show they were handed back.

7.  An Application for Registration

8.  Evidence of eligibility for a pensioner or other concession, if relevant

When attending Service NSW or motor registry, you must pay the registration fee, stamp duty and a fee for the number plates.

Number plates will be issued, which you must immediately attach to your vehicle.

Registration certificates are not issued in NSW for light vehicles. Service NSW has a registration calculator with a guide to the cost of registration, not including the cost of the green slip or blue slip.

Vehicles need to be registered in NSW if they are permanently garaged in NSW. Vehicles are generally regarded as being permanently garaged in NSW when they have been in NSW for more than 3 months.


1. How do I transfer registration to NSW?

You can transfer registration to NSW from another state or territory in 3 steps:

  1. Ask a NSW mechanic to carry out a blue slip inspection.
  2. Compare prices and buy a CTP green slip.
  3. Visit Service NSW with documents proving your identity, NSW address and entitlement to register the vehicle.

2. What’s the difference between a pink slip and a blue slip?

A pink slip is an annual safety check and a blue slip is a full safety and identity check of your vehicle, both by a NSW mechanic.  A pink slip is required annually for vehicles 5 years or older before they can be registered. A blue slip is required once for the first registration of a vehicle in NSW.

3. How much is a green slip in NSW?

The cost of a green slip varies widely, depending on you, your vehicle and your driving record. Six insurers offer green slips and must by law provide the same cover. However, they have different ways of calculating risk and this affects the prices of their green slips.
Compare green slip prices here.

Registration - more info

Green slip and rego look-up >

Free service to find your CTP insurer or when rego is due. read more

Renew a full drivers or riders NSW licence >

Steps to help you renew your drivers or riders licence. read more

Unregistered vehicles >

What happens if you forget to register your vehicle. read more

Conditional registration >

For vehicle types registered under strict conditions only read more

Vehicle shape codes >

Shape codes for registration and green slip purposes read more

Classic and historic registration >

Special registration for classic and historic vehicles read more

eGreenslips >

Insurers notify Service NSW online about your green slip. read more

Transport for NSW >

The government authority for Service NSW functions read more

Registration reminder sticker >

A simple reminder when your NSW registration is due. read more

Rego and safety checks >

How rego works with your green slip and safety checks. read more