go to top

Motorbike Green Slips

Cheapest CTP for motorbikes in NSW

Green slip prices for motorbikes vary and are particularly based on engine capacity and rider experience. Always compare prices before you purchase a CTP green slip for your motorbike.

Insurers determine greenslip prices for motorbikes on the basis of engine capacity (including electric). They also use your geographic (rating) region, claims history, driving record, rider age and whether or not there is a pillion passenger. Find more information on setting greenslip prices.

State Insurance Regulatory Authority (SIRA) designates classifications of motorcycle engine capacity.

Motorcycle classifications

Five motorcycle classifications apply:

  • Under 225cc and electric motorcycles
  • 226cc to 725cc
  • 726cc to 1125cc
  • 1126cc to 1325cc
  • Over 1325cc.

Classifications do not include other factors, such as style or use of a motorbike or Learner Approved Motorcycle (LAM) status. These classifications, when first introduced in July 2010, increased greenslip prices for motorbikes.

None of the insurers offers At-Fault Driver Cover as an additional feature with motorbike green slips in NSW (as one insurer currently does for other vehicles).

To find the cheapest priced green slip for a motorbike in NSW go to the greenslips.com.au Calculator.

How to get a motorbike licence

Service NSW operates a graduated licensing scheme for new motorcycle riders. Most riders must successfully complete each licensing stage before they can hold a full and unrestricted licence.

  1. Pre-learner training
  2. Rider Knowledge Test
  3. Learner rider licence
  4. Pre-provisional training
  5. Motorcycle operator skills test
  6. Provisional (P1) rider licence
  7. Provisional (P2) rider licence
  8. Full licence.

While holding a learner, P1 or P2 licence, riders are restricted to an approved motorcycle under the Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (LAMS).

1. Pre-learner training

Book with a training centre. The training centre provides motorcycle, helmets and gloves and tuition of 7 hours over 2 days. Successful trainees receive the Certificate of Competence, which is valid for 3 months.

2. Rider knowledge test

Book and take the rider knowledge test at a motor registry or Service NSW. The test is based on Road Users Handbook and Motorcycle Rider’s Handbook.

3. Learner rider licence

Hold this licence for at least 3 months; it is valid for 12 months.

4. Pre-provisional training

Book this course after holding the learner rider licence. It takes 6 hours on one day and trainees must pass.

5. Motorcycle Operator Skills Test

Book the Motorcycle Operator Skills Test (MOST), a further one-hour test of riding skills. If successful, take the Certificate of Competence to a motor registry or Service NSW.

6. P1 rider licence

Hold a P1 licence for at least 12 months; it is valid for 18 months.

7. P2 rider licence

Hold a P2 licence for at least 24 months; it is valid for 30 months.

Riders who are over 25, hold a current full driver licence and have been on a P1 licence for at least 12 months, can skip the P2 licence.

8. Full licence

A full licence is valid for 1, 3, 5 or 10 years (10 years for ages 21-44 only). Full licence holders are no longer restricted to approved motorcycles under LAMS.

Vehicle Type - more info

Trucks and buses >

How the CTP scheme works for owners of trucks and buses. read more

Business and GST >

How claiming for GST affects the price of your green slip. read more

Fleets >

What owners of fleets need to know to get green slips. read more

Taxi green slips >

What all taxi owners need to know about green slips. read more

Rideshare green slips >

What all rideshare providers need to know about green slips. read more

Vehicle classifications >

The way vehicles are classified under the NSW CTP scheme. read more