Pensioner concessions for NSW registration
In NSW your pension eligibility does not affect CTP green slip insurance prices, but your vehicle registration is free.
- Insurers use many factors to set green slip prices. Pension eligibility is not one of those factors.
- Factors such as vehicle, driving record, claims and insurance history can all affect your greenslip price.
- Always check your details are correct when your current insurer offers a renewal.
Go to our greenslips.com.au Calculator to compare prices for all six greenslip insurers, based on your vehicle and details.
Free registration for eligible pensioners
NSW registration is free for eligible pensioners. Service NSW checks your eligibility online.
NSW stamp duty and transfer fees are not payable by certain DVA pensioners (those receiving a disability pension of 70% or higher, TPI or EDA pensioners or those assessed under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 at 50 or more impairment points).
Pension concessions apply to one vehicle per eligible pensioner.
Automatic registration renewal
If you are an eligible pensioner, entitled to free registration with no restrictions on your licence or vehicle, then your registration may be renewed automatically by Service NSW. Service NSW will check your pensioner status.
Automatic renewal occurs once Service NSW receives your pink slip and confirmation of your CTP green slip purchase and provided they are received before registration expiry. If you have an online account with Service NSW you will receive an email or text message to confirm renewal of your registration. You can check the status of your registration and CTP green slip through Service NSW.
Automatic registration renewal applies to one vehicle per eligible pensioner.
An eligible pensioner must hold:
- Pensioner Concession Card (PCC) from Centrelink or the DVA, showing a NSW address.
An eligible DVA pensioner must hold:
- DVA Gold Card endorsed with:
- TPI (Totally and Permanently Incapacitated)
- EDA (Extreme Disability Adjustment)
- War widow/er
- Disability pension of 70% or more, an Intermediate pension, or an assessment of 50 or more impairment points.
You cannot claim a concession in NSW on pensioner concession cards issued interstate.
1. Do you get a pension discount on a green slip?
No, a pensioner cannot get a discount on a green slip. Insurers do not use pensioner status as a factor when setting greenslip prices. Green slips are already discounted for favourable factors such as safe vehicle, good driving record, and history of no claims.
2. Is registration free for pensioners in NSW?
Yes, registration is free for eligible pensioners in NSW. Pensioners do not pay for registration, conditional registration or motor vehicle tax. DVA pensioners also do not pay stamp duty or transfer fee if they want to transfer registration. Pensioner concessions apply to one vehicle only.
3. How do I know if I’m eligible for free registration?
Service NSW will check online whether you are eligible for free registration.
4. How do I get automatic registration renewal?
Service NSW first checks your pensioner status and any restrictions on your licence or vehicle. Service NSW automatically renews registration once it receives your pink slip and CTP green slip purchase. Automatic registration renewals apply to one vehicle only.