Greenslip notification online
When you purchase a greenslip the insurer will notify Transport for NSW (TfNSW) electronically of the greenslip purchase.
Generally, subject to clearance of funds, notification will go through to TfNSW within 30 to 60 minutes of processing by the insurer. If you purchase your greenslip from an agent or broker, check how long it will be before processing by the insurer.
New light vehicles plus light commercial vehicles, panel vans, caravans, trailers and four wheel drive vehicles with a compliance date of 1 July 2003 onwards are exempt from requiring a safety check for the first 5 years. Vehicles more than 5 years old require an annual safety check before registration. The registration renewal papers will tell you if a safety check is required.
- Vehicle safety inspection reports, or pink slips, are now called safety checks
- Safety checks are issued electronically to TfNSW by Authorised Inspection Scheme stations
- Authorised Inspection Stations are generally called inspection stations
- After a safety check, you can renew your registration online or over the phone
- A list of inspection stations and other information on registering your vehicle is on the TfNSW site.
To register a vehicle being transferred from interstate or with a cancelled registration requires a more detailed safety and identity check, generally called a blue slip. Some inspection stations also issue blue slips.
6 or 12 month registration and greenslips
In addition to the usual 12 month renewal, you can purchase a greenslip and renew registration for 6 months in the case of cars, light trucks (most light vehicles up to 4.5 tonnes), motorbikes and trailers and for 3 months in the case of trucks.
- Short term registration is not available for a new registration or when transferring and renewing registration at the same time
- The term of your greenslip must match the period of your registration. If you intend to renew your registration for 6 months, only buy a greenslip for 6 months
- Safety checks are required every 12 months or every alternate 6 month registration period
- Renew registration online at Service NSW, by calling 13 77 88, by post or in person at a motor registry or Service NSW.
Registration tips and traps
- Renew registration within 3 months of your expiry date, otherwise your registration will be cancelled
- Greenslips have a use-by date, printed on the greenslip
- Greenslips for 6 months have a use-by date which is 21 days after the date on which registration renewal is due
- If you renew your registration later than 21 days after renewal was due, you have the option of renewal for only 12 months
- To renew your registration for 6 months, you must do it within 21 days of renewal being due, otherwise you have no choice but to renew for 12 months
- Registration of a vehicle requiring a blue slip (a vehicle being transferred from interstate or with a cancelled registration) does not usually require hard copies of the CTP green slip and blue slip as they are sent electronically to TfNSW
- Registration of a vehicle requiring a blue slip can be done initially for 12 months only.