Registration and Safety Checks

Registration tips and traps

It is important to renew registration when it is due:

  • Renew registration within 3 months of your expiry date, otherwise your registration will be cancelled.
  • To renew your registration for 6 months, you must do it within 21 days of renewal being due, otherwise you have no choice but to renew for 12 months.
  • Greenslips for 6 months have a use-by date printed on the greenslip, which is 21 days after the date on which registration renewal is due.
  • Registration of a vehicle requiring a blue slip (a vehicle being transferred from interstate or with a cancelled registration) is a first registration and can be done initially for 12 months only.
  • Registration of a vehicle requiring a blue slip does not usually require hard copies of the CTP green slip and blue slip as they are usually sent electronically to Service NSW.

Safety checks

Your registration renewal papers will tell you if a safety check is required. Vehicles more than 5 years old require an annual safety check before registration. For the first 5 years, new light vehicles plus light commercial vehicles, panel vans, caravans, trailers and 4WD vehicles with a compliance date of 1 July 2003 onwards do not need a safety check .

  • Vehicle safety inspection reports are called safety checks or pink slips
  • Safety checks are usually issued electronically to Service NSW by Authorised Inspection Scheme stations (inspection stations)
  • After a safety check, you can renew your registration online or on the phone
  • A list of inspection stations and other information on registering your vehicle is on the Service NSW site.

To register a vehicle being transferred from interstate or with a cancelled registration requires a more detailed safety and identity check, generally called a blue slip. Some inspection stations also issue blue slips.

6-month registration and greenslips

In addition to 12-month renewal, you can purchase a greenslip and renew registration for 6 months for cars, light trucks (most light vehicles up to 4.5 tonnes), motorbikes and trailers. You can renew for 3 months in the case of trucks.

  • The term of your greenslip must match the period of your registration. If you intend to renew your registration for 6 months, buy a greenslip for 6 months.
  • Short term (6-month) registration is not available for a new registration or when transferring and renewing registration at the same time.
  • Safety checks are required every 12 months or every alternate 6-month registration period.

Renew registration online at Service NSW, by calling 13 77 88, by post or in person at a motor registry or Service NSW.

Greenslip notification online

When you purchase a greenslip the insurer will electronically notify Service NSW of the greenslip purchase. Generally, subject to clearance of funds, notification will go through to Service NSW within 30 to 60 minutes of processing by the insurer.

If you purchase your greenslip from an agent or broker, always check how long it will be before processing by the insurer.

Registration - more info

Green slip and rego look-up >

Free service to find your CTP insurer or when rego is due. read more

eGreenslips >

Insurers electronically notify Service NSW about your green slip. read more

Transferring registration to NSW >

Three steps to transfer interstate registration to NSW. read more

Vehicle shape codes >

Shape codes for registration and green slip purposes read more

Conditional registration >

For vehicle types registered under strict conditions only read more

Classic and historic registration >

Special registration for classic and historic vehicles read more

Registration reminder sticker >

A simple reminder when your NSW registration is due. read more

Transport for NSW >

The government authority for Service NSW functions read more