RMS Registration and Safety Checks
Greenslip Notification Online
When you purchase a greenslip the insurer will notify Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) electronically of the greenslip purchase.
Generally, subject to clearance of funds, notification will go through to the RMS within 30 to 60 minutes of processing by the insurer. If you purchase your greenslip from an agent or broker, check how long it will be before processing by the insurer.
New light vehicles plus light commercial vehicles, panel vans, caravans, trailers and four wheel drive vehicles with a compliance date of 1 July 2003 onwards are exempt from requiring a safety check for the first five years. Vehicles more than five years old require a safety check before registration. The registration renewal papers will tell you if a safety check is required.
Vehicle safety inspection reports were previously called pink slips. Pink slips are now called safety checks.
Safety checks are issued electronically to the RMS by Authorised Inspection Scheme stations.
Authorised Inspection Scheme stations are called inspection stations.
The benefit of a safety check is that you can renew your registration online or over the phone, if you wish to do so.
A list of inspection stations and other information on registering your vehicle is available on the RMS web site.
To register a vehicle being transferred from interstate or with a cancelled registration will require a more detailed safety check and an identity check, generally referred to as a blue slip. Some inspection stations also issue blue slips.
6 or 12 Month Registration and Greenslips
In addition to the usual 12 month renewal, you also have the option of purchasing a greenslip and renewing the registration for 6 months in the case of cars, light trucks (most light vehicles up to 4.5 tonnes), motorbikes and trailers and for 3 months in the case of trailers.
Short term registration is not available for a new registration or when transferring and renewing registration at the same time.
Registration renewal can be done online at Service NSW, by calling 13 77 88, by post or in person at a motor registry or Service NSW.
The term of your greenslip must match the period of your registration. If you intend to renew your registration for 6 months, only buy a greenslip for 6 months.
The requirements for a safety check are not affected by the shorter registration periods.
Registration Tips and Traps
1. Registration must be renewed within 3 months of your expiry date, otherwise your registration will be cancelled.
2. Greenslips have a use-by date, printed on the greenslip.
3. Greenslips for 6 months have a use-by date which is 21 days after the date on which registration renewal is due.
4. If you renew your registration later than 21 days after renewal was due, you will only have the option of renewal for 12 months.
5. To renew your registration for six months, you must do it within 21 days of renewal being due, otherwise you will have no choice but to renew for 12 months.
6. Registration of a vehicle requiring a blue slip (a vehicle being transferred from interstate or with a cancelled registration) no longer requires hard copies of the CTP green slip and blue slip as they are sent electronically to RMS.
7. Registration of a vehicle requiring a blue slip can only be done initially for 12 months.