go to top

I just moved here – How do I transfer registration to NSW?

Welcome to NSW! This blog is for you if you’ve moved to NSW with an interstate vehicle within the last 3 months and intend to stay. Find out how to easily transfer registration from your other state or territory.

Your first registration in NSW

This will be your first registration in NSW. The system is NSW is different from other states and terrritories as you have to buy CTP insurance separately before you can register your vehicle. The first CTP insurance and registration must be for a period of 12 months.

You need to go in person to a motor registry or Service NSW with all the documents required for the first registration of your vehicle. After the first time, you will be able to renew registration by phone or online. You will also be able to buy CTP insurance and renew registration for 6 months.

How do I transfer registration to NSW?

There are three steps to transfer registration to NSW:

  1. Get a blue slip (safety and identity check) for your vehicle at a NSW mechanic (authorised inspection station).
  2. Buy CTP insurance – compare the cheapest prices.
  3. Go in person to Service NSW or motor registry with documents proving your identity, residential address and entitlement to register the vehicle.
    See our checklist below. ›

What is a blue slip?

A blue slip is a safety and identity check of the vehicle. Most NSW mechanics can do this inspection but you need to book it. A blue slip takes longer than a pink slip (annual safety check) and is valid for only 42 days. Make sure you are ready to register your vehicle within that time.

What is a green slip?

In NSW, compulsory third party (CTP) insurance is usually called a green slip. Your green slip covers you for people who are killed or injured in a road accident involving your vehicle. You can choose between six insurers and they all provide the same cover by law. One insurer, NRMA Insurance, offers further coverage on top of the green slip for drivers who are at fault in an accident.

What documents do I need to transfer registration?

After you buy your blue and green slips, Service NSW receives electronic copies of them. You are then ready to visit Service NSW or motor registry with everything you need to show.

Item What to do
Blue slip Book this at a NSW mechanic
Green slip (CTP insurance) Compare prices from every insurer and buy
Application for registration form Complete this
Proof of identity Show, eg, birth certificate, passport, credit card
Proof of residential address in NSW Use, eg, contract of sale, lease agreement
Proof of entitlement to register Show, eg, interstate certificate of registration or motor dealer sales contract
Previous number plates If possible
Fees Pay for registration, stamp duty, number plates

Cancel your previous state or territory registration

Once you have fixed NSW number plates to your vehicle, you need to cancel registration in your previous state or territory. When you cancel registration, you also cancel that state or territory’s CTP insurance.

You are now legally ready to drive your vehicle in NSW.

Remember in NSW you have to buy a green slip before you can renew registration next time.

author image

Corrina Baird

Writer and Researcher, greenslips.com.au

Corrina used to lend her car to her kids and discovered what Ls, Ps and demerits mean for greenslips. After 20 years in financial services and over 9 years with greenslips.com.au, she’s an expert in the NSW CTP scheme. Read more about Corrina

your opinion matters: