Remembering when your registration is due can be like trying to remember your mother-in-law’s birthday. greenslips.com.au can at least help you remember your rego.
Three ways to remember your rego
- Use the Service NSW free greenslip and registration check
- Opt in for a 2-week reminder in your MyServiceNSW account
- Order some registration reminder stickers from greenslips.com.au
Why get a greenslip and rego check?
Service NSW provides a free greenslip and rego check service. There are a few reasons why you might want to get a rego check. In fact, remembering when your rego is due is just one of them. The others are just as useful:
- If you don’t know the name of your greenslip insurer – to ask a question or just update your details
- You want to know the insurer of a car involved in an accident – important if you want to make a claim
- When you want to buy a used car and find out its registration status – a good check of whether you are paying the right price for a used car.
All you need is the plate number of the vehicle and the service will show you:
- Greenslip insurer
- Expiry date of greenslip
- Rego expiry date
- Status (current, suspended or cancelled registration)
- Restrictions on rego (renewal or transfer)
- Any concessions.
Remember, this service won’t provide the name or address of the registered owner and works only for vehicles currently registered in NSW. Some people have been frustrated to find out they cannot use this service once registration is cancelled.
Opt-in for a 2-week reminder
Transport for NSW (TfNSW) posts registered vehicle owners a paper renewal notice 6 weeks before your rego is due. If this is not sufficient reminder – too early perhaps – you can opt in to get a 2-week reminder in your MyServiceNSW account settings.
Police used automatic number plate recognition technology to catch around 57,000 people in NSW driving an unregistered vehicle in 2021-21. Fortunately, that number is trending down – 17,000 less than in 2018-19. Some of these people might not have known they were unregistered.
As well as remembering when your rego is due, always keep your contact details up to date. If you’ve moved recently, you have only 14 days to notify your change of address within 14 days. You can do this online or call 13 22 13.
Would you like a reminder sticker?
greenslips.com.au introduced rego reminder stickers in 2014. When paper registration stickers were abolished in 2013, many people missed having a reminder on their windscreen. Our rego reminder stickers gave them a way of remembering again.
If you would like to receive one or more stickers to remind you when your registration is due, send us your address and we will send you stickers.
- Our sticker is designed to go on your windscreen but you can also put it on noticeboards, filing cabinets or on your fridge
- The sticker is easy to apply and easy to remove
- Remember, you can order as many as you like.
If your rego is due now, compare prices from every insurer in NSW.