If you thought there were more caravans on the roads these days, you were right. The fastest growing registration type – 5% per annum for 6 consecutive years – is caravans and campervans.
Since 2008, registrations have increased 34% to over 580,000 in 2015.
NSW campsites had more visitors than ever in 2015, as happy campers and caravanners made more than 3.6 million overnight trips. Australia has about 170,000 powered and unpowered sites in all kinds of beautiful locations, but they are occupied only half the time.
Industry research also says:
- 85% of Australians have been on a caravan or camping trip at least once in their lives
- 88% think it’s an experience every child should have
- 50% of caravanners are parents, aged 30-54, travelling with their children.
A quarter are 55-70 year olds, so-called Grey Nomads, who are on the move and curious to discover while they can. In fact, nearly 75% of people who have bought caravans or motorhomes were motivated by this desire to see a lot more of their own country.
Remember trailers and caravans don’t need CTP green slips. You buy a green slip only for the vehicle doing the towing. Make sure you know something about towing before you attempt to do it:
- You must register all vehicles, including trailers, and caravans, which are driven or towed on NSW roads
- Towing vehicles must be suited to the trailer
- Nobody is allowed to ride in trailers or caravans.
Whether you’re a Grey Nomad, parent of a young family of just a lover of the outdoors, greenslips.com.au can tell you more about driving safely with a trailer.