Getting your motorcycle licence in NSW

Drivers must share the road with many different kinds of vehicles, from trucks and buses to motorcycles. Accidents can happen at any time, and that is where ctp green slip insurance comes in handy to cover any third parties that may be injured or killed as a result of a road incident.  This policy extends to motorbike riders as well, so it’s important to compare green slip quotes.

If you haven’t yet achieved your motorcycle licence in New South Wales, here are the stages you will be required to go through.

The Motorcycle Rider Training Scheme

Roads & Maritime Services (RMS) in New South Wales operate a graduated licensing scheme for new motorcycle riders, meaning you must successfully complete a series of stages and tests before you can obtain your full and unrestricted licence.

The first step in this process is the motorcycle rider training scheme. This is a pre-learning course that is designed for people who have no experience riding a motorcycle, and the training centre in your area will provide any equipment you need.

Passing this course will give you a pre-learner Certificate of Competence. Once you have this and you have passed an eyesight and rider knowledge test, you can move on to the next step.

If you live in an ‘undeclared area’ with no training centre, you don’t need to take the pre-learner course and can move straight to the rider knowledge test.

Learner rider licence

The Class R (rider) learner licence is issued for 12 months. You need to be at least 16 years and nine months to get it, but you don’t have to hold a separate driver’s licence. With this class of licence, you cannot ride after consuming any amount of alcohol.
In addition to this, you cannot ride faster than 90 km/h, and must observe the speed limit at all times. You are also restricted from riding in Parramatta Park, Centennial Park or Moore Park in Sydney. Four or more demerit points will see your learner licence suspended or refused.

Provisional P1 rider licence

To move to a P1 licence, you need to be at least 17 years of age. You need to have had your learner’s for at least three months prior to sitting the test.

You will also need to pass a pre-provisional course in declared areas or a riding test in undeclared areas. The course is six hours of training, after which you will sit the Motorcycle Operator Skills Test.  This is designed to assess how well you can handle the motorcycle.

Passing the pre-provisional course gives you a Certificate of Competence for three months. If you don’t take the next stage of testing after this, you’ll need to go through the pre-provisional training again.

This stage has the same mobile phone and blood alcohol concentration rules as the learner class.

Provisional P2 rider licence

The next phase is the P2 class of licence. You need to have had your P1 licence for at least 12 months before progressing to a P2 licence. There are no skills tests required in this, but you will need to apply to get your P2 licence and you also need to pass an eyesight test.

Full rider licence

After you’ve had your P2 rider licence for at least two years, you can move onto the full licence class. You will need to go to the nearest registry or service centre yourself to have the licence upgraded and a new photo taken.

If you’ve over 25 years old, have an unrestricted driver’s licence and at least 12 months of a P1 motorcycle licence, you may be able to skip straight from the P1 to a full licence.

your opinion matters:

Show Discussion