go to top

10 questions you asked us in 2022

holiday questions

Every day people ask us questions about the greenslips.com.au Calculator or green slips in general. This is the top 10 of questions in 2022. Of course, you can contact us anytime with a green slips question.

1. Why don’t insurer and calculator prices match?

2. How do I cancel my CTP green slip?

3. Why doesn’t my make and model show up??

4. How do I pay you?

5. Do your quotes include GST and the Fund Levy?

6. I’ve just moved to NSW – what do I do?

7. I’ve had a road accident, what do I do next?

8. How do I get quotes without a youngest driver?

9. How do I get quotes for a pensioner?

10. Can I get a 3-month green slip?

1. Why don’t insurer and calculator prices match?

First of all, insurer prices and greenslips.com.au calculator prices should always match. Prices used by the calculator are the same as those submitted by the 6 licensed insurers to the CTP regulator. It doesn’t matter where you get green slip quotes, they should always be the same – for exactly the same information.

Here are some tips to make sure you get an accurate price:

  • Use accurate information only. If the information is even slightly wrong, the prices in the calculator will be wrong. Make sure you answer every question in the calculator carefully.
  • You must use the same information for the greenslips.com.au calculator and the insurer to get the same price. You may also need to check your insurer renewal to make sure they are using up to date information.
  • Vehicle type: Insurers may classify your SUV as a light goods vehicle. If you do a calculation with vehicle type as motor car, the price will be around $200-$300 too low. This is the most common mistake, so check your rego papers for the code.
  • Demerits: QBE quotes rely on correctly stating any demerit points.
  • NRMA Insurance: Quotes rely on correctly stating the number of years of continuous relationship.

Also see: Why there should be no price difference.

2. How do I cancel my CTP greenslip?

To cancel your greenslip and receive a refund, you must first cancel registration on your vehicle. Service NSW will issue a letter as proof of cancelled registration for your CTP insurer. Your insurer will give you a pro rata refund of any remaining period on your greenslip less an administration fee.

If you’ve moved interstate or your vehicle is written off, you can cancel your CTP greenslip. However, if you’ve sold your vehicle, you can’t cancel remaining CTP. This is because the green slip remains on the vehicle you sold. Note, you can’t cancel your CTP greenslip if you change your mind about your choice of insurer during the registration period.

3. Why doesn’t my make and model show up?

Your make and model should always show up in the greenslips.com.au Calculator because all vehicles registered in NSW are listed. However, there are 2 possible reasons why your make and model might not show up:

  • You need the correct Vehicle Type – motor car or ute/light goods vehicle. Choosing the right Vehicle Type in question can be confusing. For example, some SUVs and 4WDs are classified as motor cars and some are classified as light goods vehicles. In this case, locate the shape code on your rego papers.
  • You need the correct Year of Manufacture. Year of Manufacture can be found on your registration renewal notice or by using the Service NSW Registration Check.

Note, the greenslips.com.au Calculator does not operate for heavy vehicles over 4.5 GVM or non-standard vehicles or fleets. These makes and models will not be on the list.

4. How do I pay you?

You can’t pay greenslips.com.au because we don’t take payments for green slips. greenslips.com.au is an independent price comparison site, not a seller of greenslips.
To pay for your green slip, you have to contact your chosen insurer using contact details on your Results page. Once you have paid the insurer, it will immediately notify Service NSW so you can start or renew your registration. The insurer gives you your new policy reference number and holds details of your policy.

Note, you won’t need your greenslips.com.au reference number because it’s for your use only to help answer questions in the greenslips.com.au Calculator.

5. Do your quotes include GST and the Fund Levy?

Yes, all greenslips.com.au Calculator quotes include GST and the Fund Levy.

You can easily see a breakdown of the total greenslip quote into premium, GST and Fund Levy. Just click on the + sign next to each insurer on your calculator Results page. Note, you pay GST on the insurer premium only and not on the total price.

6. I have just moved to NSW – what do I do?

If you have just moved to NSW, you need to transfer registration of your vehicle to NSW. The first registration in NSW must be for 12 months. After that, you can renew registration for 6 month periods. There are 3 steps:

  1. Get a safety and identity check of your vehicle, known as a blue slip, from an authorised inspection station in NSW.
  2. Compare prices and buy your CTP green slip insurance.
  3. Go in person to Service NSW with documents proving your identity, residential address in NSW and entitlement to register the vehicle, as well as fees. Service NSW automatically receives electronic copies of your blue and green slips but you need to take a hardcopy of your blue slip.

You need to cancel registration in your previous state or territory. This will also cancel the CTP insurance from that jurisdiction on your vehicle.

7. I’ve had a road accident, what do I do next?

If you’ve had a road accident, you can make a claim under the NSW CTP scheme. This applies to passengers, cyclists and pedestrians injured or killed in an accident involving your vehicle. Here are the first 4 steps:

  1. Call the Police Assistance Line 131 444 within 28 days of the accident to get an event number for insurer records.
  2. Find out the registration plate number of the at-fault vehicle. Notify the insurer of the at-fault vehicle or use SIRA’s Online Claim Notification.
  3. Make a claim within 28 days of the accident to receive weekly income payments from the accident date.
  4. Visit a GP for medical treatment and request a certificate of fitness for work as soon as possible. Insurers can approve early treatment even if you don’t later put in a full claim.

The government body that helps you make injury claims is State Insurance Regulatory Authority (SIRA). Its site is a good starting place. You can also call its CTP Assist line on: 1300 656 919.

8. How do I get quotes without a youngest driver?

You can still get quotes when there is only one driver. Insurers simply need to know the age of the youngest person driving the vehicle. If you are the only driver, then you are also the youngest driver. Note, you don’t need to be young to be the youngest driver!

9. How do I get quotes for a pensioner?

Pensioners can get quotes from the greenslips.com.au Calculator in the same way as other vehicle owners. Insurers use many factors to set green slip prices but being a pensioner is not one of them. While there are no concessions for pensioners, you can still get a cheaper green slip for a good driving history and a reasonably safe vehicle.

However, eligible pensioners can get free registration for one vehicle.

10. Can I get a 3-month green slip?

In NSW, you cannot get a 3-month green slip for a light vehicle. This is because NSW, unlike some states or territories, does not offer 3-month registration for light vehicles. However, you can register a heavy vehicle over 4.5 GVM or a trailer for a period of 3 months.

author image

Corrina Baird

Writer and Researcher, greenslips.com.au

Corrina used to lend her car to her kids and discovered what Ls, Ps and demerits mean for greenslips. After 20 years in financial services and over 8 years with greenslips.com.au, she’s an expert in the NSW CTP scheme. Read more about Corrina

your opinion matters: