Media release, 29 June 2020: The Cancer Assistance Network Tumut branch has received funding from greenslips.com.au to help pay for cancer patients’ green slip insurance. As COVID-19 creates extra risks and limitations, more cancer patients have to use their own vehicle for transport to treatment.
Cancer patients in need, and who rely on their car to get to treatment, are encouraged to ask for financial assistance from Can Assist Tumut.
Travelling for treatment
A cancer diagnosis in rural or remote NSW can bring the additional burden of travelling long distances to treatment. Through a partnership with www.greenslips.com.au, Can Assist Tumut has received a funding injection to help ease that burden. The comparative CTP insurance site knows the cost of CTP car insurance and recognises the benefits of keeping local cancer patients’ cars on the road when they need them most.
“Our closest cancer treatment centre is 110km away in Wagga Wagga requiring a 1.5 hour drive each way. Some patients we support must travel to Albury or Canberra, just over 200km away, taking at least 2 hours. If your treatment is radiation, 5 days a week for up to 8 weeks, the commute to treatment can be gruelling and is very expensive,” said Jan Sturt, Can Assist Tumut Branch President.
Can Assist provides practical and financial support to cancer patients through travel, food and fuel vouchers, pharmaceuticals and utilities payments. Can Assist Tumut supports up to 40 patients a month however the branch knows there are many more in the community needing help, and expects that number will grow as COVID-19 puts an added burden on local cancer patients. The branch is keen to help more patients in need, especially with payment from www.greenslips.com.au for their CTP green slip insurance.
Support from greenslips.com.au
“This support from greenslips.com.au is ideal. Treatment is so far away and our cancer patients are vulnerable in terms of their physical and mental health. Their own car is a sanctuary when they are tired, nauseated and feeling low, particularly after radiation or chemotherapy, when getting directly home is a priority.”
Dr Thi Tran, GP at Connection Medical Centre said “I’ve been referring cancer patients to Can Assist for over 16 years. It is a marvellous service, helping in such relevant ways, financially and mentally. Patients prefer to travel to treatment in their own car for their health, security and emotional independence.”
Can Assist Tumut is funded entirely by local donations and corporate sponsorship, with all money raised locally staying local. While you won’t currently see the volunteers at their regular fundraising events, Can Assist is still accepting donations and supporting the community. During COVID-19, patient needs are even more acute and Can Assist remains committed to assisting all local cancer patients.
“The need keeps increasing because people with cancer, including prostate, bowel and breast cancer, are living so much longer which is wonderful. Last year Can Assist helped 100 patients, this year add another 20+ new cancer patients to make their care roster 120+ patients. Demand for assistance from Can Assist is increasing with time.” said Dr Thi Tran, GP at Connection Medical Centre.
Can Assist Tumut invites cancer patients to come forward and seek their support. It is as simple as calling 0427 047 408. All enquiries and ongoing support are strictly confidential. For more information on how to support Can Assist, visit www.canassist.org.au.
Sophie Bartho, email@example.com Mobile 0411 191 141
About Can Assist
Can Assist is committed to ensuring that all people, regardless of where they live in NSW, have access to cancer treatment and care. By providing accommodation, financial assistance and practical support to people from rural and regional areas, it ensures country people are given the same opportunities and treatment choices as those who live in city centres.
Can Assist facts
- Can Assist provides practical and financial support to people affected by cancer and living in country NSW.
- Established in 1955, Can Assist is funded entirely by local donations and corporate sponsorships.
- In 2019, it responded to over 7,700 requests for assistance from rural and regional cancer patients through 55 branches across NSW.
- Can Assist is a grass roots, community-based volunteer network. It is local volunteers supporting local families affected by cancer.
- All the money raised locally stays local.
- Cancer is expensive, and people in rural and remote communities can suffer reduced income and increased expenses because of a cancer diagnosis. Their position is often exacerbated because treatment may require relocation from home and family support.
- greenslips.com.au is a partner of Can Assist. greenslips.com.au is a price comparison and information service for CTP green slip insurance. It does not sell CTP green slip insurance.
- greenslip.com.au has supported Can Assist head office and 16 branches in Orange, Finley, Dubbo, Armidale, Bega, Balranald, Narrabri, Yass, Bathurst, Tumut, Deniliquin, the Southern Highlands, Wagga Wagga, Manning Valley, Moree and Eurobodalla, with commitments to give further support across NSW.