Media release, 25 August 2020: Can Assist Eurobodalla has received funding from greenslips.com.au to help pay for cancer patients’ green slip insurance. Cancer patients in need, and who rely on their car to get to treatment, are encouraged to ask for financial assistance from Can Assist Eurobodalla.
A cancer diagnosis in rural or remote NSW can bring the additional burden of travelling long distances to treatment. Through a partnership with www.greenslips.com.au, Can Assist Eurobodalla has funding to help ease that burden. The comparative CTP insurance site knows the cost of CTP car insurance. It recognises the benefits of keeping local cancer patients’ cars on the road, when they need them most.
“Our local cancer patients can’t get to treatment if they can’t travel. The main objective is getting people to treatment in Canberra, Nowra or Bega. This injection of funding means we can do more. With the green slip covered by greenslips.com.au we can give them other assistance. People are affected in different ways so we need to support them in different ways,” said Yvonne Scott, Can Assist Eurobodalla Patient Assistant Officer.
Can Assist provides practical and financial support to cancer patients through travel, food and fuel vouchers, pharmaceuticals and utilities payments. Can Assist Eurobodalla support 65-75 patients each year, but knows many more in the community need help. The number seeking support is growing with the impact of bushfires and COVID-19, which puts an added burden on local cancer patients. The branch is keen to help more patients in need, especially with payment from www.greenslips.com.au for their CTP green slip insurance.
“The emotional benefits are huge. A lot of people don’t like asking for help and when we offer them assistance they often respond, ‘are you sure nobody needs it more than me?’. You can hear their breath go out, the sigh of relief, with so much appreciation and gratitude,” said Yvonne.
Oncology Social Worker Michele Polach at Eurobodalla Cancer Care Centre, NSW Health, recognises the power of practical and emotional support available through Can Assist.
“I’ve been referring two to three patients a month to Can Assist for the past four years. Cancer is very expensive particularly when treatment is not available locally. Travelling to treatment is most important so having a working vehicle to travel for regular cancer treatment within or outside the Eurobodalla, is a huge drain on the family budget.
“Can Assist offers reassurance that someone in their community cares for them. In a time of uncertainty, we can say ‘here is someone who can help you’. Can Assist provides prompt and reassuring support for our patients. When someone asks, ‘how do I get myself to treatment?’, Can Assist is quick to respond. Can Assist just picks them up,” said Michele.
Can Assist Eurobodalla is funded entirely by local donations and all money raised locally stays local. While you won’t currently see volunteers at their regular fundraising events, Can Assist still accepts donations and welcomes the corporate sponsorship from greenslips.com.au. During COVID-19, patient needs are even more acute and Can Assist remains committed to assisting all local cancer patients.
Can Assist Eurobodalla invite cancer patients to come forward and seek their support. It is as simple as calling 0457 885 721. All patient enquiries and support are strictly confidential.
For more information on how to support Can Assist, visit www.canasssist.org.au.
Sophie Bartho, firstname.lastname@example.org Mobile 0411 191 141
About Can Assist
Can Assist is committed to ensuring that all people, regardless of where they live in NSW, have access to cancer treatment and care. By providing accommodation, financial assistance and practical support to people from rural and regional areas, it ensures country people are given the same opportunities and treatment choices as those who live in city centres.
Can Assist facts
- Can Assist provides practical and financial support to people affected by cancer and living in country NSW.
- Established in 1955, Can Assist is funded entirely by local donations and corporate sponsorships.
- In 2019, it responded to over 7,700 requests for assistance from rural and regional cancer patients through 55 branches across NSW.
- Can Assist is a grass roots, community-based volunteer network. It is local volunteers supporting local families affected by cancer.
- All the money raised locally stays local.
- Cancer is expensive, and people in rural and remote communities can suffer reduced income and increased expenses because of a cancer diagnosis. Their position is often exacerbated because treatment may require relocation from home and family support.
- greenslips.com.au is a partner of Can Assist. greenslips.com.au is a price comparison and information service for CTP green slip insurance. It does not sell CTP green slip insurance.
- greenslip.com.au has supported Can Assist head office and 17 branches, in Orange, Finley, Dubbo, Armidale, Bega, Balranald, Narrabri, Yass, Bathurst, Tumut, Deniliquin, the Southern Highlands, Wagga Wagga, Manning Valley, Moree, Eurobodalla and West Wyalong, with commitments to give further support across NSW.