Media release, 19 August 2020: Can Assist West Wyalong has received funding from greenslips.com.au to help pay for cancer patients’ green slip insurance. Cancer patients across the Bland Shire who rely on their car to get to treatment are encouraged to ask for financial support from Can Assist West Wyalong.
A cancer diagnosis in rural or remote NSW can bring the additional burden of travelling long distances to treatment. Through a partnership with www.greenslips.com.au, Can Assist West Wyalong has funding to help ease that burden. The comparative CTP insurance site knows the cost of CTP car insurance. It recognises the benefits of keeping local cancer patients’ cars on the road, when they need them most.
“Access to a car and maintaining our patient’s mobility to ensure they can get to treatment is a major priority. Our patients must travel to Wagga Wagga, Griffith, Albury, Canberra, Sydney and Melbourne, for different treatments and specialists. Travelling to treatment in your own vehicle is more comfortable. The patient and their carer can go at their own pace which give them security, privacy and a sense of control.
Their own vehicle is an important comfort zone,” said Trevor Lanyon, Can Assist West Wyalong President. “Paying for someone’s green slip is a great benefit. We already have four families in need of support with their CTP insurance. They’re going 5 days a week for 6-8 weeks to radiotherapy. Having their own reliable car and paying for their green slip insurance is a great support,” said Trevor.
Can Assist provides practical and financial support to cancer patients through travel, accommodation and pharmaceutical payments. Can Assist West Wyalong is supporting 57 patients at different stages of their cancer journey, actively involved with eleven in the Bland Shire. Can Assist knows more people in the community need help, particularly with COVID-19 putting added burdens on local cancer patients. The branch is keen to help more patients in need in confidence, especially with payment from www.greenslips.com.au for their CTP green slip insurance.
“When first diagnosed, it can be mind blowing. I talk to our local cancer patients and the families to remind them there are people to support them. Our role is to give assistance, take the pressure off, so they can concentrate on the battle with cancer and not worry about the finances,” said Anne Manglestorf, Client Liaison Officer, Can Assist West Wyalong.
“There is more cancer awareness, earlier diagnosis and treatments are improving with earlier intervention. The need in our community is growing with people travelling further to access the broader medical system and new cancer treatments. Support from our local community has always been incredible, and support from businesses like greenslips.com.au gives us additional capacity,” said Anne.
Can Assist West Wyalong in Bland Shire is funded entirely by local donations and local fundraising events, with all money raised locally stays local. While you won’t currently see volunteers at their regular fundraising events, Can Assist still accepts donations and welcomes corporate sponsorship. During COVID-19, patient needs are even more acute and Can Assist remains committed to assisting all local cancer patients.
Can Assist West Wyalong invites cancer patients to come forward and seek their support. It is as simple as calling 0438 471 760. All patient enquiries and support are strictly confidential.
For more information on how to support Can Assist, visit www.canasssist.org.au.
Sophie Bartho, firstname.lastname@example.org Mobile 0411 191 141
About Can Assist
Can Assist is committed to ensuring that all people, regardless of where they live in NSW, have access to cancer treatment and care. By providing accommodation, financial assistance and practical support to people from rural and regional areas, it ensures country people are given the same opportunities and treatment choices as those who live in city centres.
Can Assist facts
- Can Assist provides practical and financial support to people affected by cancer and living in country NSW.
- Established in 1955, Can Assist is funded entirely by local donations and corporate sponsorships.
- In 2019, it responded to over 7,700 requests for assistance from rural and regional cancer patients through 55 branches across NSW.
- Can Assist is a grass roots, community-based volunteer network. It is local volunteers supporting local families affected by cancer.
- All the money raised locally stays local.
- Cancer is expensive, and people in rural and remote communities can suffer reduced income and increased expenses because of a cancer diagnosis. Their position is often exacerbated because treatment may require relocation from home and family support.
- greenslips.com.au is a partner of Can Assist. greenslips.com.au is a price comparison and information service for CTP green slip insurance. It does not sell CTP green slip insurance.
- greenslip.com.au has supported Can Assist head office and 17 branches, in Orange, Finley, Dubbo, Armidale, Bega, Balranald, Narrabri, Yass, Bathurst, Tumut, Deniliquin, the Southern Highlands, Wagga Wagga, Manning Valley, Moree, Eurobodalla and West Wyalong, with commitments to give further support across NSW.