Media release, 20 April 2020: The Cancer Assistance Network Deniliquin branch has received funding from greenslips.com.au to help pay for cancer patients’ green slip insurance. As COVID-19 creates extra risks and limitations, more cancer patients have to use their own vehicle for transport to treatment.
Cancer patients in need, and who rely on their car to get to treatment, are encouraged to ask for financial assistance from Can Assist Deniliquin.
A cancer diagnosis in rural or remote NSW can bring the additional burden of travelling long distances to treatment. Through a partnership with www.greenslips.com.au, Can Assist Deniliquin has received a funding injection to help ease that burden. The comparative CTP insurance site knows the cost of CTP car insurance and recognises the benefits of keeping local cancer patients’ cars on the road when they need them most.
“Having a car to get to treatment is an absolute must in a rural area, especially with COVID-19 limiting access to public and patient transport. Treatment options in Deniliquin are minimal with patients forced to travel up to 2.5 hours to Albury-Wodonga, Echuca, Bendigo or Melbourne. With no regional airport, flying is not an option. The car is essential and the only way to get to treatment,” said Kellie Crossley, Can Assist Deniliquin Branch President.
“A roadworthy car during cancer treatment is about mobility and independence.That sense of freedom means all the more when cancer is rocking your confidence and self-esteem. It is hard to quantify the emotional benefits of maintaining someone’s connectedness,” said Kellie.
Can Assist provides practical and financial support to cancer patients through travel, food and fuel vouchers, pharmaceuticals and utilities payments. Can Assist Deniliquin supports over 30 patients a year however knows there are many more in the community needing help, and expects that number will grow as COVID-19 puts an added burden on local cancer patients. The branch is keen to help more patients in need, especially with payment from www.greenslips.com.au for their CTP green slip insurance.
“The financial support available through greenslips.com.au relieves that burden of worry about ‘where is the money coming from to keep my car on the road’. It is one expense, usually on the family budget, that we can provide relief from. Our clients can have peace of mind, independence and privacy with their own car, confident they will get to treatment,” said Bianca Armytage, Can Assist Deniliquin Client Liaison Officer.
“A cancer diagnosis is hard enough, let alone the logistics of where to get treatment, how to get there and how do we afford it. Can Assist provides equitable financial support for cancer patients right across the community, especially those who don’t have an advocate,” said Bianca.
Can Assist Deniliquin is funded entirely by local donations and corporate sponsorship, with all money raised locally staying local. While you won’t currently see the volunteers at their regular fundraising events, Can Assist is still accepting donations and supporting the community. During COVID-19, patient needs are even more acute and Can Assist remains committed to assisting all local cancer patients.
Can Assist Deniliquin invites cancer patients to come forward and seek their support. It is as simple as calling 0418 453 677. All enquiries and ongoing support are strictly confidential. For more information on how to support Can Assist, visit www.canassist.org.au.
Sophie Bartho, email@example.com Mobile 0411 191 141
About Can Assist
Can Assist is committed to ensuring that all people, regardless of where they live in NSW, have access to cancer treatment and care. By providing accommodation, financial assistance and practical support to people from rural and regional areas, it ensures country people are given the same opportunities and treatment choices as those who live in city centres.
Can Assist facts
- Can Assist provides practical and financial support to people affected by cancer and living in country NSW.
- Established in 1955, Can Assist is funded entirely by local donations and corporate sponsorships. In 2018, it assisted 7,300 rural and regional cancer patients through 55 branches across NSW.
- Can Assist is a grass roots, community-based volunteer network. It is local volunteers supporting local families affected by cancer.
- All the money raised locally stays local.
- Cancer is expensive, and people in rural and remote communities can suffer reduced income and increased expenses because of a cancer diagnosis. Their position is often exacerbated because treatment may require relocation from home and family support.
- greenslips.com.au is a new partner of Can Assist. Greenslips.com.au is a price comparison and information service for CTP green slip insurance. It does not sell CTP green slip insurance.
- greenslip.com.au has supported Can Assist branches in Orange, Finley, Dubbo, Armidale, Bega, Balranald, Narrabri, Yass, Bathurst, Tumut, Deniliquin, the Southern Highlands and Wagga Wagga, with commitments to give further support across NSW.