Media release, 15 April 2020: The Cancer Assistance Network Wagga Wagga branch has received funding from greenslips.com.au to help pay for cancer patients’ green slip insurance. As COVID-19 creates extra risks and limitations, more cancer patients have to use their own vehicle for transport to treatment.
Cancer patients in need, and who rely on their car to get to treatment, are encouraged to ask for financial assistance from Can Assist Wagga Wagga.
A cancer diagnosis in rural or remote NSW can bring the additional burden of travelling long distances to treatment. Through a partnership with www.greenslips.com.au, Can Assist Wagga Wagga has received a funding injection to help ease that burden. The comparative CTP insurance site knows the cost of CTP car insurance and recognises the benefits of keeping local cancer patients’ cars on the road when they need them most.
“For a cancer patient, their car and mobility are critical because of all the medical appointments and even more so, with COVID-19 social distancing requirements. Some patients have a compromised immune system, so even local trips require a patient to manage their own transport. Some treatments and surgery are further afield in Sydney, Melbourne or Canberra and all the out-of-pocket expenses really mount up. They’re worrying about the cancer, they’re worrying about Coronavirus, they’re worrying about the mounting bills. Help with a green slip payment makes their life easier,” said Welfare Officer Sheila Cross, Can Assist Wagga Wagga.
“A lot of people feel uncomfortable asking for help, but this money has been donated by www.greenslips.com.au specifically to pay for cancer patients’ CTP insurance. If we can put things in place to help maintain your independence, it helps emotionally and financially. Everyone knows someone with cancer so we’re encouraging people to reach out to Can Assist and seek our assistance,” said Sheila.
Can Assist provides practical and financial support to cancer patients through travel, food and fuel vouchers, pharmaceuticals and utilities payments. Can Assist Wagga Wagga is currently supporting 120 patients and expects that number to grow, especially as COVID-19 puts an added burden on local cancer patients. The branch is keen to help more patients in need, especially with payment from www.greenslips.com.au for their CTP green slip insurance.
John Nixon, President of Can Assist Wagga Wagga, knows firsthand the need to maintain mobility and the positive impact when others step in to help. “When I had bowel cancer I spent six weeks off work, and for three weeks I could not drive. Living at the time in Temora, the local Can Assist branch were fantastic with their support. I remember it eight years on,” said John.
Can Assist support was so valuable, that when John’s youngest son Bradley was diagnosed with bowel cancer in 2017, John went looking for a local branch. “I looked for Can Assist Wagga Wagga -there was no branch – so we started a branch to support local cancer patients. Something had to be done so we just did it.” Now Wagga Wagga has a local branch funded entirely by local donations and corporate sponsorship, with all money raised locally staying local. During COVID-19, patient needs are even more acute and Can Assist is as committed as ever to supporting all local cancer patients.
Can Assist Wagga Wagga invites cancer patients to come forward and seek their support. It is as simple as calling 0475 202 663. All enquiries and ongoing support are strictly confidential.
For more information on how to support Can Assist, visit www.canassist.org.au.
Sophie Bartho, firstname.lastname@example.org Mobile 0411 191 141
About Can Assist
Can Assist is committed to ensuring that all people, regardless of where they live in NSW, have access to cancer treatment and care. By providing accommodation, financial assistance and practical support to people from rural and regional areas, it ensures country people are given the same opportunities and treatment choices as those who live in city centres.
Can Assist facts
- Can Assist provides practical and financial support to people affected by cancer and living in country NSW.
- Established in 1955, Can Assist is funded entirely by local donations and corporate sponsorships. In 2018, it assisted 7,300 rural and regional cancer patients through 55 branches across NSW.
- Can Assist is a grass roots, community-based volunteer network. It is local volunteers supporting local families affected by cancer.
- All the money raised locally stays local.
- Cancer is expensive, and people in rural and remote communities can suffer reduced income and increased expenses because of a cancer diagnosis. Their position is often exacerbated because treatment may require relocation from home and family support.
- greenslips.com.au is a new partner of Can Assist. Greenslips.com.au is a price comparison and information service for CTP green slip insurance. It does not sell CTP green slip insurance.
- greenslip.com.au has supported Can Assist branches in Orange, Finley, Dubbo, Armidale, Bega, Balranald, Narrabri, Yass, Bathurst, Tumut, Deniliquin, the Southern Highlands and Wagga Wagga, with commitments to give further support across NSW.