Media release, 1 November 2020: When someone in rural or remote NSW is diagnosed with cancer, they may have to travel long distances to treatment. Through a partnership with www.greenslips.com.au, Can Assist Gunnedah has more funding to help ease that burden.
The comparative CTP insurance site knows the cost of CTP car insurance. It recognises the benefits of keeping local cancer patients’ cars on the road when they need them most. Can Assist Gunnedah encourages cancer patients in need, and who rely on their car to get to treatment, to ask for financial assistance.
Long distances to travel for treatment
Kate Knight, Gunnedah Can Assist President says: “We have such long distances to travel, it’s critical to have a safe, reliable car to get to treatment. Tamworth is 80 kilometres away and we have some clients who travel to Sydney or Newcastle for care. Radiation could require 25 trips, there and back, so the kilometres really add up. Can Assist Gunnedah supports other local towns including Carroll, Mullaley, Boggabri, Curlewis, and Coonabarabran, who may have to travel even further”.
“We’ve been supporting a local woman with a rare cancer going through intense chemo in Sydney. It impacts on her, her husband, their four young children and the extended family. Contributions such as this from greenslips.com.au will help us to help her and many others.
“A cancer diagnosis is stressful enough; without a vehicle it adds another burden. We have been told Can Assist is a little ray of sunshine in a dark time. If you have support you can get through it. Our support is not just for the patient, but also for the carer, who could be taken away from their job. We want people to know we’re here to help,” says Kate.
Practical and financial support to cancer patients
Can Assist provides practical and financial support to cancer patients in Gunnedah and surrounding townships, through travel, food and fuel vouchers, pharmaceuticals and utilities payments. Can Assist Gunnedah knows many more in the community need help, especially with the added burden of COVID-19 on cancer patients. The branch is keen to help more patients in need, especially with payment from www.greenslips.com.au for their CTP green slip insurance.
“At the beginning, when you find out you have cancer, it feels like the foundation falls out of everything. You’re the worker and all of a sudden there’s no income. The initial diagnosis has a big impact and you need financial support. Your world changes, things halt for a while, but you do get on top and you do move forward,” says Linda Lee, Can Assist Gunnedah Secretary.
“Can Assist Gunnedah supports approximately 10 clients a month, 2-3 times per month, depending on their circumstances. While fundraising slowed due to COVID-19, our Client Liaison Officer has been inundated with requests for help. A lot of people don’t like to ask for support, but when offered they willingly accept. The support can continue for several months or as long as it’s required”, says Linda.
Can Assist Gunnedah is funded entirely by local donations and corporate sponsorship from companies such as greenslips.com.au, with all money raised locally staying local.
Invitation to ask for support
Can Assist Gunnedah invites local cancer patients to come forward and seek their support. Cancer patients in Barooga are also encouraged to seek assistance. It is as simple as calling 0455 135 973. All patient enquiries and support are strictly private and highly confidential. For more information on how to support Can Assist, visit www.canasssist.org.au.
Sophie Bartho, firstname.lastname@example.org Mobile 0411 191 141
About Can Assist
Can Assist is committed to ensuring that all people, regardless of where they live in NSW, have access to cancer treatment and care. By providing accommodation, financial assistance and practical support to people from rural and regional areas, it ensures country people are given the same opportunities and treatment choices as those who live in city centres.
Can Assist facts
- Can Assist provides practical and financial support to people affected by cancer and living in country NSW.
- Established in 1955, Can Assist is funded entirely by local donations and corporate sponsorships.
- In 2019, it responded to over 7,700 requests for assistance from rural and regional cancer patients through 55 branches across NSW.
- Can Assist is a grass roots, community-based volunteer network. It is local volunteers supporting local families affected by cancer.
- All the money raised locally stays local.
- Cancer is expensive, and people in rural and remote communities can suffer reduced income and increased expenses because of a cancer diagnosis. Their position is often exacerbated because treatment may require relocation from home and family support.
- greenslips.com.au is a partner of Can Assist. greenslips.com.au is a price comparison and information service for CTP green slip insurance. It does not sell CTP green slip insurance.
- greenslip.com.au has supported Can Assist head office and 17 branches, in Orange, Finley, Dubbo, Armidale, Bega, Balranald, Narrabri, Yass, Bathurst, Tumut, Deniliquin, the Southern Highlands, Wagga Wagga, Manning Valley, Moree, Eurobodalla, West Wyalong, Tocumwal, Gunnedah and Guyra, with commitments to give further support across NSW.