Media release, 4 May 2020: The Cancer Assistance Network local Bathurst branch has received funding from greenslips.com.au to help pay for cancer patients’ green slip insurance.
As COVID-19 creates more risks and limitations, more cancer patients will rely on their own vehicle for transport to treatment. Cancer patients in need, and who rely on their car to get to treatment, are encouraged to reach out for financial assistance from Can Assist Bathurst.
A cancer diagnosis in rural or remote NSW can bring the additional burden of travelling long distances to treatment. Through a partnership with www.greenslips.com.au, Can Assist Bathurst has received a funding injection to help ease that burden. The comparative CTP insurance site knows the cost of CTP car insurance and recognises the benefits of keeping local cancer patients’ cars on the road when they need them most.
“I worked in cancer support from 1982 and have seen what patients go through. I have seen the need for financial assistance. To give patients some freedom from financial worries while they go through treatment is profound, and the positive benefits are exponential,” said Gen Croaker, Can Assist Bathurst Branch President.
“To pay for a patients CTP insurance through the www.greenslips.com.au contribution will bring both a financial and emotional support. Ensuring our patients cars are roadworthy, ensures our patients can get to treatment and maintain social distancing during COVID-19.
The car is so important for transport to their doctor, getting medications, protecting their immunity and providing peace of mind. Financial support is a very important increment to the quality of life for the cancer patient and their family.” said Gen.
Can Assist provides practical and financial support to cancer patients through travel, food and fuel vouchers, pharmaceuticals and utilities payments. Can Assist Bathurst supported over 428 claims from patients in 2019 and expects that number to grow with the added burdens of COVID-19 impacting local cancer patients in numerous ways. The branch is keen to help more patients in need, especially with payment from www.greenslips.com.au for their CTP green slip insurance.
“Six months into my cancer journey I was unable to work and travelling to Sydney for treatment and surgery frequently. I was wondering ‘what am I going to do’ and thinking I would have to get a bank loan, when someone introduced me to Can Assist. They have been amazing, helping with the high cost of medications and the very practical realities of life such as rates,” said Linda Golding, local Can Assist client.
“Cancer is a tough journey, and it’s hard to ask for help. But the help from Can Assist has made such a difference to me, my family and our quality of life. It’s important we share our stories because the more people who talk about it, the more people Can Assist can help. They’ve restored my faith in humanity,” said Linda.
Can Assist Bathurst is funded entirely by local donations and corporate sponsorship, with all money raised locally staying local. During COVID-19, the patient needs are more acute than ever before and Can Assist is equally committed to supporting all local cancer patients.
“We are seeing an increase in requests for assistance. One client requiring radiotherapy in Orange has been advised by their doctor not to use public transport during COVID-19. With treatment demanding six weeks of daily treatment and therefore a round trip from Bathurst to Orange, we will help with transport and/or the cost of accommodation. Either way it is costly, and our assistance will ensure a better health outcome, says Gen.”
Can Assist Bathurst invites cancer patients to come forward and seek their support. It is as simple as calling 02 6331 1601. All enquiries and ongoing support are strictly confidential. For more information on how to support Can Assist, visit www.canassist.org.au.
Sophie Bartho, email@example.com Mobile 0411 191 141
About Can Assist
Can Assist is committed to ensuring that all people, regardless of where they live in NSW, have access to cancer treatment and care. By providing accommodation, financial assistance and practical support to people from rural and regional areas, it ensures country people are given the same opportunities and treatment choices as those who live in city centres.
Can Assist facts
- Can Assist provides practical and financial support to people affected by cancer and living in country NSW.
- Established in 1955, Can Assist is funded entirely by local donations and corporate sponsorships. In 2018, it assisted 7,300 rural and regional cancer patients through 55 branches across NSW.
- Can Assist is a grass roots, community-based volunteer network. It is local volunteers supporting local families affected by cancer.
- All the money raised locally stays local.
- Cancer is expensive, and people in rural and remote communities can suffer reduced income and increased expenses because of a cancer diagnosis. Their position is often exacerbated because treatment may require relocation from home and family support.
- greenslips.com.au is a new partner of Can Assist. Greenslips.com.au is a price comparison and information service for CTP green slip insurance. It does not sell CTP green slip insurance.
- greenslip.com.au has supported Can Assist branches in Orange, Finley, Dubbo, Armidale, Bega, Balranald, Narrabri, Yass, Bathurst, Tumut, Deniliquin, the Southern Highlands and Wagga Wagga, with commitments to give further support across NSW.