Media release, 9 March 2020: The Cancer Assistance Network local branch has received funding from greenslips.com.au to help pay for cancer patients’ green slip insurance. Cancer patients in need, and who rely on their car to get to treatment, are encouraged to reach out for financial assistance from Can Assist Narrabri.
A cancer diagnosis in rural or remote NSW can bring the additional burden of travelling long distances to treatment. Through a partnership with www.greenslips.com.au, Can Assist Narrabri has received a funding injection to help ease that burden. The comparative CTP insurance web platform knows the cost of CTP car insurance and recognises the benefits of keeping local cancer patients’ cars on the road when they need them most.
“When you’re in a rural location and need to get to cancer treatment, your car is vital. Transport options are limited and cancer patients need their vehicles as a priority. We pay a lot of car registrations and green slips, it is a huge expense,” said Can Assist Narrabri President Amanda Wales.
“It’s costly to be ill, but to do that in a rural setting increases the cost tenfold. We’re in a severely drought-affected area and the number of people needing assistance is increasing the longer the drought goes on. The contribution from www.greenslips.com.au is timely. People don’t have the financial backing they once had, and the cost of living keeps going up, placing more pressure on people. Can Assist has adjusted their allocation of funds to ensure all patients can be supported,” said Amanda.
Amanda has a unique perspective on people’s perceptions of charity and asking for help. “People feel bad asking for help or often believe there is someone worse off who needs it more. I believe asking for help is smart financial planning. One bill paid is one less thing to worry about. The cancer patient can put their best foot forward on their cancer journey. By asking Can Assist for financial support they can face cancer head on”.
Can Assist provides practical and financial support in the form of accommodation, travel, fuel vouchers and utilities payments, to name a few. Can Assist Narrabri supports on average 40 patients a year. They are keen to help more patients in need, especially with payment from www.greenslips.com.au for their CTP green slip insurance.
“There is a real need in communities such as Narrabri. A $400 flight is not always an option. Local cancer patients often travel five hours to Newcastle or six hours to Sydney for specialist doctors, testing and treatments. They must have a safe, reliable and registered vehicle to get there. Cancer can make you feel as though your world is closing in so to have your vehicle is some peace of mind. A vehicle is really, really important to give them independence to go freely to doctors and into town,” said Can Assist Narrabri Secretary Jennifer Grant.
“A cancer diagnosis can feel overwhelming, as can the ongoing associated costs. When Can Assist can take away just one burden, such as paying for a green slip, that is one less thing to worry about and we hope it takes some pressure off the patient and their family. We don’t have the magic wand to take away the cancer but we can take away some of the financial pressure. A car is not a luxury when it is your lifeline to treatment,” said Amanda.
Can Assist is a community-based volunteer network, funded entirely by local donations and corporate sponsorship, with all money raised locally staying local. Can Assist Narrabri invite cancer patients to come forward and seek their support. It is as simple as calling 0427 345 662. Enquiries need a health professional referral from a specialist, doctor, oncology nurse, McGrath Foundation nurse, community health nurse or oncology counsellor. All enquiries and ongoing support are strictly confidential.
For more information on how to support Can Assist, visit www.canasssist.org.au.
Sophie Bartho, firstname.lastname@example.org Mobile 0411 191 141
About Can Assist
Can Assist is committed to ensuring that all people, regardless of where they live in NSW, have access to cancer treatment and care. By providing accommodation, financial assistance and practical support to people from rural and regional areas, it ensures country people are given the same opportunities and treatment choices as those who live in city centres.
Can Assist facts
- Can Assist provides practical and financial support to people affected by cancer and living in country NSW.
- Established in 1955, Can Assist is funded entirely by local donations and corporate sponsorships. In 2018, it assisted 7,300 rural and regional cancer patients through 55 branches across NSW.
- Can Assist is a grass roots, community-based volunteer network. It is local volunteers supporting local families affected by cancer.
- All the money raised locally stays local.
- Cancer is expensive, and people in rural and remote communities can suffer reduced income and increased expenses because of a cancer diagnosis. Their position is often exacerbated because treatment may require relocation from home and family support.
- greenslips.com.au is a new partner of Can Assist. Greenslips.com.au is a price comparison and information service for CTP green slip insurance. It does not sell CTP green slip insurance.
- greenslip.com.au has supported Can Assist branches in Orange, Finley, Dubbo, Armidale, Bega, Balranald, Narrabri, Yass, Bathurst, Tumut and Wagga Wagga, with commitments to give further support across NSW.