Media release, 26 October 2020: A cancer diagnosis in rural or remote NSW can bring the additional burden of travelling long distances to treatment. Through a partnership with www.greenslips.com.au, Can Assist Tocumwal has received funding to help ease that burden. The comparative CTP insurance site knows the cost of CTP car insurance and recognises the benefits of keeping local cancer patients’ cars on the road when they need them most. Cancer patients in need, and who rely on their car to get to treatment from Tocumwal and Barooga, are encouraged to ask for financial assistance from Can Assist Tocumwal.
Transport a priority for Tocumwal locals
“Transport is a huge priority for locals because Tocumwal has no local cancer services. It’s a big thing to have your cancer care in rural and regional NSW with no public transport. There always has to be a car available to patients who are required to travel the 80kms to Shepparton or 150km to Albury for treatment. I know from my own cancer experience how important your own vehicle is, especially after treatment when many patients cannot drive themselves home. Your own car provides the transport to treatment plus a great sense of privacy and independence when feeling vulnerable,” said Roberta Wereta, Can Assist Tocumwal President.
“I think it’s the humane thing to do. I understand the cancer journey from my own experience. It is the heartful friendship we can offer, as well as the practical and financial support. There are some earth angels in our organisation who really know how to care,” said Roberta.
Practical and financial support in Tocumwal
Can Assist provides practical and financial support to cancer patients in Tocumwal and Barooga, through travel, food and fuel vouchers, pharmaceuticals and utilities payments. Can Assist Tocumwal knows there are many more in the community needing help, especially with the added burden of COVID-19 on cancer patients. The branch is keen to help more patients in need, especially with payment from www.greenslips.com.au for their CTP green slip insurance.
“We’re here to support our local cancer patient and we want everyone to know we’re here for the community. As soon as we know someone needs help, we will reach out with our offer of assistance. We have seen the impact a little bit of support can make. And we know how to offer that support without intruding,” said Margery Boyce, Can Assist Tocumwal Past President.
“The impact of support from Can Assist paying for patients CTP insurance through the greenslips.com.au funding is amazing because it takes the stress off the patient. Whole families can be affected, particularly if the patient’s role was previously working and their income is not coming through. The idea is to take the pressure off their bills so they can focus on getting themselves better and not have to think about the worldly things like how can I afford this and that,” said Margery.
Donations and funding
Can Assist Tocumwal is funded entirely by local donations and corporate sponsorship from companies such as greenslips.com.au, with all money raised locally staying local. Can Assist Tocumwal invite local cancer patients to come forward and seek their support. Cancer patients in Barooga are also encouraged to seek assistance. It is as simple as calling 0467 926 557. All patient enquiries and support are strictly private and highly confidential.
For more information on how to support Can Assist, visit www.canasssist.org.au.
Sophie Bartho, email@example.com Mobile 0411 191 141
About Can Assist
Can Assist is committed to ensuring that all people, regardless of where they live in NSW, have access to cancer treatment and care. By providing accommodation, financial assistance and practical support to people from rural and regional areas, it ensures country people are given the same opportunities and treatment choices as those who live in city centres.
Can Assist facts
- Can Assist provides practical and financial support to people affected by cancer and living in country NSW.
- Established in 1955, Can Assist is funded entirely by local donations and corporate sponsorships.
- In 2019, it responded to over 7,700 requests for assistance from rural and regional cancer patients through 55 branches across NSW.
- Can Assist is a grass roots, community-based volunteer network. It is local volunteers supporting local families affected by cancer.
- All the money raised locally stays local.
- Cancer is expensive, and people in rural and remote communities can suffer reduced income and increased expenses because of a cancer diagnosis. Their position is often exacerbated because treatment may require relocation from home and family support.
- greenslips.com.au is a partner of Can Assist. greenslips.com.au is a price comparison and information service for CTP green slip insurance. It does not sell CTP green slip insurance.
- greenslip.com.au has supported Can Assist head office and 21 branches in Orange, Finley, Dubbo, Armidale, Bega, Balranald, Narrabri, Yass, Bathurst, Tumut, Deniliquin, the Southern Highlands, Wagga Wagga, Manning Valley, Moree, Eurobodalla, West Wyalong, Tocumwal, Gunnedah and Guyra, with commitments to give further support across NSW.