A copy of the booklet is available on the RMS website.
The changes generally simplify or clarify existing rules.
Most notable are the following:
1. Use of mobile phones whilst your vehicle is not parked.
- You can use a mobile phone for calls or to use the audio playing function if the phone is secured in a fixed mounting or, if not in a mounting use of the phone will not require you to touch or manipulate the phone in any way.
- You must not hold a mobile phone in your hand and all other functions such as messaging and emailing are prohibited.
- If you want to use the GPS function on your phone, you can only do so if the phone is secured in a commercially designed and manufactured fixed mounting and if it is positioned so as not to distract or obscure your view. This also applies to any other type of GPS device.
- Learner and P1 drivers are not allowed to use any function of a phone.
2. Signalling at roundabouts.
- You are required to give sufficient warning of your intention before you enter a roundabout.
- When leaving a roundabout, you are required to signal a left turn just before you exit.
3. Carrying animals on motorbikes.
- You are not allowed to carry an animal on a motorbike between you and the handlebars.
- Animals are not yet required to wear crash helmets!!!