CTP Insurance in Western Australia

Insurance Commission of Western Australia (ICWA)

Motor vehicle registration in Western Australia is referred to as a motor vehicle licence.

CTP insurance or Third Party Insurance is included in the motor vehicle licence. CTP Insurance is itemised separately on the motor vehicle licence renewal notice.

In WA, the Insurance Commission of Western Australia (ICWA) is the only CTP insurer. The CTP division of the ICWA manages all claims resulting from motor vehicle crashes that involve WA licensed vehicles.

  • The ICWA covers owners and drivers of vehicles registered in WA for the cost of claims against them for death or injury caused by their negligence.
  • The insurance applies in any part of Australia and is subject to warranties and conditions.
  • This aspect of the scheme is fault-based so an injured party must prove liability and establish negligence on the part of the driver or owner of a vehicle.

Since 1 July 2016, insurance extended to cover anyone catastrophically injured in a motor vehicle crash in WA, regardless of fault. People with catastrophic injuries are covered for the treatment, care and support they need for the remainder of their lives.

Vehicle licencing in WA

Vehicle licensing in WA is controlled by the Department of Transport.

  • Light vehicle licences can be renewed for 3, 6 or 12 months.
  • If a licence is more than 3 months overdue, the licence will be cancelled.
  • Vehicle safety inspections are not required for standard light vehicle licence renewals.
  • Most light motor vehicles must be fitted with an approved immobiliser for the grant of a motor vehicle licence or to transfer ownership in WA.

Motor vehicle licence fees in WA are primarily based on vehicle weight plus administration fees. The rate per kilogram varies depending on vehicle type.

WA CTP premiums

The CTP insurance component of the motor vehicle licence is based on the type of vehicle (vehicle classification) and the primary purpose for which it is used. Premiums are determined based on the claims history for that vehicle class and use. Factors such as owner or driver age, driving record and claims history are not directly reflected in the licence fee.

For certain types of vehicle, two different rates apply to the licence fee, a private (personal) rate and a standard (business) rate. The private rate is cheaper than the standard rate.

To be eligible for the private rate, the vehicle must be a car, bus or goods vehicle that is:

  • Licensed in the name of a natural person
  • An unloaded mass that does not exceed 3,000 kg
  • Not a heavy vehicle
  • To be used exclusively for social, domestic or pleasure purposes and not for the carriage of passengers or goods, for hire or reward, or in any business, trade or profession.

Other vehicles that do not fit the description of a family vehicle, including motorbikes, trailers, caravans and mobile caravans, must pay the standard rate.

Vehicle owners registered for GST and entitled to claim an input tax credit must also pay the standard rate.

Transfer registration to WA

Vehicles being transferred to WA from interstate do not require a roadworthiness examination if the vehicle is:

  • A light vehicle
  • Currently licensed in another state or territory
  • More than 12 months old and you owned the vehicle continuously for the last 12 months or more
  • Less than 12 months old or you are the only owner since new
  • Fitted with an approved immobiliser
  • Not modified or is modified with approval and certification
  • Not requiring an annual inspection.

To complete the transfer process, you are required to attend a driver and vehicle services centre or regional agent in person. For most light vehicles not needing a roadworthiness examination, you must provide an interstate vehicle licence application, proof of garaging in WA, proof of vehicle ownership, interstate number plates and proof of interstate registration.

WA CTP and registration contacts

Insurance Commission of Western Australia: 1800 643 338 (toll free)

Department of Transport: 13 11 56

Monday to Friday 8.15am to 4.30pm

CTP Insurance - more info

Tas >

The CTP scheme and how to register a vehicle in Tas. read more

CTP explained >

Why you need CTP and how it works in each state and territory. read more


Find out about the new ACT MAI and how to compare prices. read more

NT >

Learn about CTP and registration in the NT. read more


How CTP green slips work in NSW and how to compare prices from all insurers. read more

Qld >

Learn about CTP in Qld and how to change insurers. read more

SA >

Understand the SA CTP scheme and how to choose an insurer. read more

Vic >

How CTP and registration works in Vic. read more