CTP Insurance in Victoria

Transport Accident Commission (TAC)

The Victorian Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance scheme is administered by the Transport Accident Commission (TAC). The TAC is the sole insurer under the scheme.

The TAC pays compensation for death or injuries resulting from a transport accident. A transport accident is defined as an incident directly caused by driving a motor car or motor vehicle, a train or a tram.

Compensation includes the reasonable cost of medical treatment, rehabilitation, disability services, income assistance, travel and household support.

Under the Victorian CTP scheme, compensation is payable for injuries or death, where the transport accident occurs:

  • In Victoria (even if the vehicle is registered interstate), or
  • Interstate and the vehicle is registered in Victoria and the person injured is a Victorian resident or was in the Victoria-registered vehicle.

The scheme is not fault based. The TAC does not consider fault when determining eligibility for compensation under the scheme.

The TAC is funded through a charge included with vehicle registration. Three factors determine the TAC premium that apply to your vehicle:

  • Vehicle classification (vehicle type and use)
  • Postcode
  • Eligibility for a pensioner discount.

A schedule of 2021 TAC premiums is published on the TAC site.

Renew vehicle registration

Licensing and registration services are provided by VicRoads.

  • Vehicle owners are not required to display a registration label.
  • Since January 2018, vehicle owners can pay for 3, 6 or 12 months registration.
  • A vehicle safety inspection is not required for normal light vehicle registration renewals.
  • A Certificate of Roadworthiness is required if a vehicle is sold, is being re-registered or to clear a vehicle defect notice.

Transfer registration to Victoria

To transfer your vehicle registration to Victoria, you need to make an appointment at a VicRoads customer service centre. When you attend the customer service centre you must give vehicle details including engine number and VIN (vehicle identification number), and your current drivers licence.

If your vehicle is currently registered interstate and the registration is being transferred to the same name in Victoria, a certificate of roadworthiness is not required. The customer service centre will advise if a certificate of roadworthiness is required in other circumstances.

Victoria CTP and registration contacts

Transport Accident Commission: 1300 654 329 or 1800 332 556

VicRoads: 13 11 71

Monday to Friday 8am to 5.30pm, Saturday 8.30am to 12.30pm

CTP Insurance - more info

WA >

CTP and vehicle licensing in WA explained. read more

Tas >

The CTP scheme and how to register a vehicle in Tas. read more

CTP explained >

Why you need CTP and how it works in each state and territory. read more


Find out about the new ACT MAI and how to compare prices. read more

NT >

Learn about CTP and registration in the NT. read more


How CTP green slips work in NSW and how to compare prices from all insurers. read more

Qld >

Learn about CTP in Qld and how to change insurers. read more

SA >

Understand the SA CTP scheme and how to choose an insurer. read more