CTP Insurance in South Australia

Fault-based SA CTP

CTP insurance in South Australia provides compensation to people injured by an SA-registered vehicle where the owner or driver is at fault. Compensation is reduced to the extent that people contribute to their own injuries.

The scheme is fault based. To make a claim under the scheme, fault on the part of an owner or driver needs to be established.

The SA CTP insurance scheme is funded by premiums paid as part of motor vehicle registration in SA. The CTP Regulator sets all premiums and oversees the CTP insurers.

Five private CTP insurers

In July 2016, the CTP Insurance scheme in South Australia was opened up to private insurers. The CTP Regulator took over from the Motor Accident Commission (MAC).

Since 1 July 2019, the CTP scheme has been fully opened up to private insurers.

Youi will provide CTP insurance in SA from 1 July 2022.

This means there are now five CTP insurers in SA:

  • AAMI
  • Allianz
  • QBE
  • SGIC
  • Youi.

Vehicle owners can choose one of these insurers based on price and customer service ratings.

Each insurer is responsible for processing CTP claims and handling enquiries.

If the insurer has paid compensation to a person and you were more than 25% responsible for the incident, you are required to pay an excess to the insurer. The amount of the excess depends on the year of the crash as it increases each year by CPI. A 5% discount is applied to the excess payment if it is received within 1 month of being due.

Reforms to SA CTP scheme

The CTP insurance scheme in SA has undergone several reforms:

  • In an effort to reduce premiums, thresholds for non-economic loss and some other categories of compensation changed.
  • Children under 16 years of age are compensated, regardless of who was at fault.
  • A Lifetime Support Scheme was introduced from 1 July 2014, so treatment, care and support is provided for those catastrophically injured in a motor vehicle accident, regardless of fault.
  • A levy for the Lifetime Support Scheme is included with vehicle registration.
  • The scheme was first opened to four private insurers in 2016 and fully opened to the market in July 2019.

Renew vehicle registration

Light vehicles, light trailers and motor bikes in South Australia can be registered for 1, 3 or 12 months. One-month registration is available only with direct debit. No registration label will be issued.

The SA Government provides an online service and mobile app, mySA GOV, for registration and licence transactions.

For light vehicles, the registration cost is based on vehicle type and number of cylinders. Weight is a factor for heavy vehicles.

Transfer registration to SA

If you become a permanent resident of SA you must transfer your registration within 3 months.

A vehicle inspection will be required to confirm the vehicle identity.

After the vehicle inspection go to a ServiceSA centre with the relevant application and proof of identity to apply for SA registration.

SA CTP  and registration contacts

CTP Regulator: 1300 303 558

Service SA: 13 10 84

Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm

CTP Insurance - more info

Vic >

How CTP and registration works in Vic. read more

WA >

CTP and vehicle licensing in WA explained. read more

Tas >

The CTP scheme and how to register a vehicle in Tas. read more

CTP explained >

Why you need CTP and how it works in each state and territory. read more


Find out about the new ACT MAI and how to compare prices. read more

NT >

Learn about CTP and registration in the NT. read more


How CTP green slips work in NSW and how to compare prices from all insurers. read more

Qld >

Learn about CTP in Qld and how to change insurers. read more