CTP Insurance in the Northern Territory

Motor Accidents Compensation Scheme

The CTP Insurance scheme in the Northern Territory is the Motor Accidents Compensation (MAC) Scheme. CTP insurance is regulated under the Motor Accidents (Compensation) Act and administered by the Territory Insurance Office (TIO) on behalf of the Northern Territory government.

The no-fault scheme compensates all people injured in a motor vehicle crash in the NT, regardless of where they reside (NT, interstate or overseas) and regardless of where their vehicle is registered (NT or interstate). An injured person may include pedestrians, drivers, passengers, motor cyclists and cyclists as long as their injuries were caused by a motor vehicle.

The scheme is funded by motor vehicle owners, through a contribution when they register their NT vehicle. When a vehicle is registered in the Territory, CTP insurance is included in the registration fee.

  • The MAC scheme provides a range of benefits, including compensation for medical and hospital care, rehabilitation services, loss of limb and loss of earning capacity.
  • Benefits may be reduced if the injured person did not obey traffic regulations.
  • No benefits are payable if you were using the vehicle unlawfully or without the consent of the owner.

If you or the person driving your NT registered vehicle is involved in a crash interstate, and deemed to be at fault, the MAC scheme will indemnify you. This means TIO will cover the costs of personal injuries sustained by a third party.

The TIO may have the right of recovery against the driver for all monies paid to the injured third party, if the driver was charged with a serious driving offence.

Registration renewal in the NT

Motor vehicle registration in the NT is controlled by the Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR), under the NT Department of Transport.

  • The Motor Vehicle Registry sends a renewal notice out 5 weeks before registration expires.
  • You can register for 1, 3, 6 or 12 months.
  • Light vehicle registration inspections are conducted at 5 years, 10 years and then annually.

Do I need a registration sticker?

Since 1 July 2013, light vehicles with a GVM of 4.5 tonnes or less do not need to display a registration sticker. All heavy vehicles with a GVM over 4.5 tonnes (including trucks, semi-trailers, public buses and road trains) are still required to display a registration sticker.

If I move to the NT, do I need to transfer my vehicle registration?

Vehicle owners are required to transfer registration to the NT within 3 months of taking up residence in the NT.

To transfer your interstate registration, you need to provide:

  • A completed Application to Register a Vehicle in the NT
  • Evidence of your identity and evidence of your residency in the NT
  • Proof you are the owner of the vehicle – your interstate registration certificate or proof of acquisition (receipt for purchase) of the vehicle
  • A vehicle compliance check confirming vehicle details, eg, VIN and chassis numbers
  • If the vehicle is 5 years old or older, a roadworthy check carried out by an authorised inspector.

NT CTP and registration contacts

Territory Insurance Office (TIO): 131 TIO (846)

Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR): 1300 654 628

Monday to Friday 8am to 4pm.

CTP Insurance - more info


How CTP green slips work in NSW and how to compare prices from all insurers. read more

Qld >

Learn about CTP in Qld and how to change insurers. read more

SA >

Understand the SA CTP scheme and how to choose an insurer. read more

Vic >

How CTP and registration works in Vic. read more

WA >

CTP and vehicle licensing in WA explained. read more

Tas >

The CTP scheme and how to register a vehicle in Tas. read more

CTP explained >

Why you need CTP and how it works in each state and territory. read more


Find out about the new ACT MAI and how to compare prices. read more